Science: Studies of History, Philosophy, and Scientific Culture
Quintino Lopes completed his PhD in History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Évora in 2017. For the development of his doctoral thesis, he received funding from the FCT (fisrt place in the international call). In 2018, he was awarded the “Prémio Publicações Internacionais de Jovens Investigadores” by the Associação Portuguesa de História Económica e Social [Portuguese Asociation of Social and Economic History]. His research has also been recognised and funded by the Johns Hopkins University, the History of Science Society (USA), the Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (France), and the private company Ferraz de Lacerda (Portugal).
Since 2017, he has focused his research on the History of Experimental Phonetics. Articles about this research have appeared in national newspapers Público and Expresso, and in the television channel RTP1. This research has also been adapted for content of the curricular programme for secondary schools across Europe as part of the “Sharing European Histories” project (Euroclio; Evens Foundation). His versatility is also attested by the consulting work carried out for the film The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis (2020) — a film adaptation from an historical novel written by the Nobel Prize winner José Saramago.
In 2021, he was awarded a Junior Reseacher contract from the Foundation for Science and Technology, under the auspices of the competitive Individual Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus.
- Contemporary history
- History of science
- Comparative and transnational history
- Military dictatorship / Estado Novo
- Lopes, Quintino & Elisabete J. Santos Pereira. “Science funding under an authoritarian regime: Portugal’s National Education Board and the European ‘academic landscape’ in the interwar period,” Notes and Records (2021): http://doi.org/10.1098/rsnr.2021.0037 [link]
- Lopes, Quintino & George Brock-Nannestad, “Lacerda’s chromographs (1930s-1950s): the circulation and appropriation of knowledge in Europe and the Americas,” in Proceedings of the Forth International Workshop on the History of Speech Communication Research, edited by Jan Volín and Pavel Sturm, 93-104. Dresden: Technische Universität Dresden Press, 2021. [link]
- Lopes, Quintino. Uma Periferia Global: Armando de Lacerda e o Laboratório de Fonética Experimental de Coimbra (1936-1979). Casal de Cambra: Caleidoscópio, 2021. [link]
- Lopes, Quintino. A Europeização de Portugal entre Guerras: A Junta de Educação Nacional e a Investigação Científica. Casal de Cambra: Caleidoscópio, 2018. [link]
- Researcher in the project “TRANSMAT — Transnational materialities (1850-1930): reconstituting collections and connecting histories.” — Coordinated by Elisabete Pereira (IHC — University of Évora) and funded by the Foundation fos Science and Technology (PTDC /FER-HFC /2793/2020). 2021-2023
- Team member of the project “Desafíos educativos y científicos de la Segunda República Española: internacionalización, popularización, innovación en universidades e instituto” — Coordinated by Leoncio López-Ocón (Instituto de Historia — CSIC) and Álvaro Ribagorda (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid), and funded by the Agencia Estatal de Investigación (Spain) (PGC2018-097391-B-I00). 2019-2022 [link]
- Team member of the project “Dinámicas de renovación educativa y científica en las aulas de bachillerato (1900-1936): una perspectiva ibérica” — Coordinated by Leoncio López-Ocón (Centro de Ciencias Humanas y Sociales del CSIC) and funded by the Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad (Spain) (HAR2014-54073-P). 2015-2018
- Collaboration with the project “A Investigação científica em Portugal no período entre as duas guerras mundiais e a JEN” — Coordinated by Augusto J. S. Fitas and funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (HC/0077/2009). 2010-2012
Tipologia do Evento:
- Event Name
Não Existem Eventos
José Pedro Castanheira wins the Maria Ondina Braga Grand Prize for Travel Literature
May 26, 2023
The book Volta aos Açores em Quinze Dias received a prize from the Portuguese Writers Association.
Sakiru Adebayo wins Amílcar Cabral Prize
May 26, 2023
The Amílcar Cabral Prize 2022 was awarded to the scholar of African literature Sakiru Adebayo.
The IHC at Festival Imaterial
May 22, 2023
The opening weekend of the Festival Imaterial included two events in collaboration with the IHC and the IN2PAST Associated Lab.