PhD in Contemporary History from the School of Social Sciences and Humanities of the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa. She has been developing her research in the field of trans-oceanic and European migrations since the 19th century, in particular under the perspective of migration policies.
Her PhD thesis, titled “A Junta Nacional de Emigração e a Política de Emigração durante o Estado Novo”, analysed the Portuguese emigration policy during the Portuguese dictatorship from an institutional approach. In the context of her postdoc, she endeavoured to study the relationship between the State, the emigration policy and the maritime policy, in order to highlight the exploration business strategies of the transport of emigrants by the maritime navigation companies, both foreign and national, and their relationship with the State, during the 20th century. In addition to these areas of interest, she has sought to develop research papers on the migrations of intellectuals, Portuguese workers during the Great War, and children.
- History of trans-ocean and European migrations
- Maritime history
- 19th and 20th centuries
- Santos, Yvette, “Entre l’Atlantique et l’Europe : l’émigration et le difficile rapprochement entre le Portugal et les pays de la CEE 1945-1968,” in Peoples and Borders: Seventy Years of Migration in Europe, from Europe, to Europe [1945-2015], edited by Elena Calandri, Simone Paoli and Antonio Varsori, 15-36. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 2016. [link]
- Rollo, Maria Fernanda & Yvette Santos (Coords.). Ecos das Migrações: Memórias e Representações dos Migrantes nos séculos XIX-XX. Coimbra: Almedina, 2015.
- Ferreira, Ana Sofia & Yvette Santos. “Entre asociaciones y comités: Estructuras de apoyo a la emigración portuguesa en Francia durante los años sessenta y setenta del siglo XX,” Historia, trabajo y sociedad 6 (2015): 81-102. [PDF]
- Silva, Marta & Yvette Santos. “Discursos sobre emigração em tempos de crise: uma abordagem comparativa,” População e Sociedade 73 (2014): 73-95. [PDF]
Tipologia do Evento:
Não Existem Eventos
Dec 8, 2022
Victor Pereira was one of the winners of the 2022 edition of the Aristides de Sousa Mendes Award.
Dec 5, 2022
The website of the project Oral Memory of Portuguese Diplomacy has been published.
Dec 3, 2022
Note of regret of the Board of Directors of the IHC on the passing of Fernando Ampudia de Haro.