Born in Lisbon in 1958, married, father of four children. Degree in History (FLUL), Master and Doctor in Sociology from NOVA FCSH, where he has been teaching since 1982, in the departments of Sociology (until 2009) and History, currently as Associate Professor.
He was visiting professor at Brown University and University of São Paulo (2004) and visiting scholar at the John Carter Brown Library (2018). He was founder and president of the Instituto de Sociologia Histórica (extinct) and researcher at CICS.NOVA, at CHAM (until 2019) and now at the IHC. He was President of the Board of SNESup — National Union of Higher Education, Director-General of Higher Education (2001-2002), Assistant Secretary of State and of Education (2005-2009), advisor to the Board of Directors of Turismo de Portugal, I.P. (2010) and Chairman of the Board of Unileya – Distance Learning and Training, S.A (2011-2016).
- Social history
- Economic history
- Historical sociology
- History of international relations
- Pedreira, Jorge & Fernando Dores Costa. D. João VI. Lisbon: Temas e Debates, 2009. [link]
- Pedreira, Jorge, “O Sistema das Trocas,” in História da Expansão Portuguesa. Vol. IV. Do Brasil para África (1808-1930), directed by Francisco Bethencourt and Kirti Chaudhuri, 213-301. Lisbon: Círculo de Leitores, 1998.
- Pedreira, Jorge Miguel Viana. “Os Homens de Negócio da Praça de Lisboa, de Pombal ao Vintismo (1755-1822). Diferenciação, reprodução e identificação de um grupo social”. PhD Thesis in History, NOVA University Lisbon, 1995.
- Pedreira, Jorge Miguel Viana. Estrutura Industrial e Mercado Colonial. Portugal e Brasil 1780-1830. Oeiras: Difel, 1994. [link]
Tipologia do Evento:
Não Existem Eventos
Dec 8, 2022
Victor Pereira was one of the winners of the 2022 edition of the Aristides de Sousa Mendes Award.
Dec 5, 2022
The website of the project Oral Memory of Portuguese Diplomacy has been published.
Dec 3, 2022
Note of regret of the Board of Directors of the IHC on the passing of Fernando Ampudia de Haro.