Born in Lisbon in 1958, married, father of four children. Degree in History (FLUL), Master and Doctor in Sociology from NOVA FCSH, where he has been teaching since 1982, in the departments of Sociology (until 2009) and History, currently as Associate Professor.
He was visiting professor at Brown University and University of São Paulo (2004) and visiting scholar at the John Carter Brown Library (2018). He was founder and president of the Instituto de Sociologia Histórica (extinct) and researcher at CICS.NOVA, at CHAM (until 2019) and now at the IHC. He was President of the Board of SNESup — National Union of Higher Education, Director-General of Higher Education (2001-2002), Assistant Secretary of State and of Education (2005-2009), advisor to the Board of Directors of Turismo de Portugal, I.P. (2010) and Chairman of the Board of Unileya – Distance Learning and Training, S.A (2011-2016).
- Social history
- Economic history
- Historical sociology
- History of international relations
- Pedreira, Jorge & Fernando Dores Costa. D. João VI. Lisbon: Temas e Debates, 2009. [link]
- Pedreira, Jorge, “O Sistema das Trocas,” in História da Expansão Portuguesa. Vol. IV. Do Brasil para África (1808-1930), directed by Francisco Bethencourt and Kirti Chaudhuri, 213-301. Lisbon: Círculo de Leitores, 1998.
- Pedreira, Jorge Miguel Viana. “Os Homens de Negócio da Praça de Lisboa, de Pombal ao Vintismo (1755-1822). Diferenciação, reprodução e identificação de um grupo social”. PhD Thesis in History, NOVA University Lisbon, 1995.
- Pedreira, Jorge Miguel Viana. Estrutura Industrial e Mercado Colonial. Portugal e Brasil 1780-1830. Oeiras: Difel, 1994. [link]
Tipologia do Evento:
Não Existem Eventos
Sep 21, 2023
British historian Sue Onslow is the third IHC Visiting Scholar
Sep 19, 2023
The exhibition on the life story of Stefan Rozenfeld will open on 21 September
Sep 19, 2023
The IHC’s Scientific Committee decided unanimously to send a letter to the publisher Routledge