Starting July 2022, Anita Buhin is a post-doctoral researcher at the IHC. She will deal with the phenomena of the so-called “galebovi” (seagulls) in socialist Yugoslavia, i.e. local young men who are engaging in sexual/romantic relationship with foreign tourists at the Adriatic. On the Yugoslav example she will try to trace various economic, cultural and social aspects of the phenomena in order to establish a research paradigm for the whole of the (Euro-)Mediterranean area in the time of the development of mass tourism.
She obtained her PhD at the European University Institute in 2019, and after that she collaborated as a researcher at the Centre for Cultural and Historical Research of Socialism at the Juraj Dobrila University of Pula, where she was also a lecturer. She is mostly interested in cultural history of socialist Yugoslavia in Mediterranean context, focusing on the relations of popular culture and tourism.
She presented her work on numerous conferences and published papers in English and Croatian. She published her first volume “Yugoslav Socialism ‘Flavoured with Sea, Flavoured with Salt’: Mediterranization of Yugoslav Popular Culture in the 1950s and 1960s under Italian Influences” (Srednja Europa: Zagreb 2022.)
- Cultural history
- Buhin, Anita. Yugoslav Socialism. “Flavoured with Sea, Flavoured with Salt”. Zagreb: Srednja Europa, 2022. [link]
- Buhin, Anita, “”Melodies from the Adriatic:” Mediterranean Influence in Zabavna Music Festivals of the 1950s and 1960s,” in Made in Yugoslavia. Studies in Popular Music, editado por Danijela Š. Beard e Ljerka V. Rasmussen, 25-36. London: Routledge, 2020. [link]
- Buhin, Anita. “Love and fashion: musical comedy and Yugoslav dolce vita,” Studies in Eastern European Cinema 10 (2019): 96-110. [link]
- Buhin, Anita. ““A Romantic, Southern Myth”: ‘One Day’ by the Troubadours of Dubrovnik,” TheMA – Open Access Research Journal for Theatre, Music, Arts 4 (2015): https://www.thema-journal.eu/index.php/thema/article/view/18. [PDF]
- Researcher in the project “Microstructures of Yugoslav Socialism: Croatia 1970-1990 (Microsocialism)” — Coordinated by Igor Duda (Juraj Dobrila University of Pula) and funded by the Croatian Science Foundation. 2018-2023 [link]
- Researcher in the project “Making of the Socialist Man. Croatian Society and the Ideology of Yugoslav Socialism” — Coordinated by Igor Duda (Juraj Dobrila University of Pula) and funded by the Croatian Science Foundation. 2014-2017 [link]
Tipologia do Evento:
Não Existem Eventos
Dec 8, 2022
Victor Pereira was one of the winners of the 2022 edition of the Aristides de Sousa Mendes Award.
Dec 5, 2022
The website of the project Oral Memory of Portuguese Diplomacy has been published.
Dec 3, 2022
Note of regret of the Board of Directors of the IHC on the passing of Fernando Ampudia de Haro.