Assistant Professor at the Universidade Europeia and Integrated Researcher at the Institute of Contemporary History, NOVA School of Social Sciences and Humanities (IHC – NOVA FCSH).
Degree (1998) and Doctorate (2004) in Sociology from the Complutense University of Madrid (UCM), having received the Extraordinary Doctorate Award from UCM. Master in Social and Solidarity Economy (2016, ISCTE-IUL). He has taught social sciences courses at the University of Salamanca, Universidad Pontificia Comillas (ICADE, Madrid), and at ISCSP at the University of Lisbon. He was a postdoctoral researcher (FCT Fellowship, 2006-2012) at the IHC of NOVA University Lisbon.
He has published several works in the fields of historical sociology, sociology of culture, and economic sociology.
- Historical sociology (civilizational and decivilizational processes)
- Sociology of culture and of communication
- Governmentality studies
- Economic sociology
- Ampudia de Haro, Fernando. O Processo Civilizacional da Tourada: Guerreiros, Cortesãos, Profissionais… e Bárbaros?. Lisbon: Imprensa de História Contemporânea, 2020. [PDF]
- Ampudia de Haro, Fernando. “La política en Norbert Elias: visión general e implicaciones,” Revista Española de Sociología, 29 (2020): 267-283. [PDF]
- Ampudia de Haro, Fernando & Sofia Gaspar. “Visados dorados para inversores en España y Portugal: residencia a cambio de dinero,” Arbor, 195 (2019): a495. [PDF]
- Ampudia de Haro, Fernando. “Gerencialisme universitari i publicació científica,” Debats, 133 (2019): 47-62. [PDF]
- Researcher in the project “New Chinese: Novas Comunidades Chinesas em Portugal” — Coordinated by Sofia Gaspar (CIES-IUL) and hosted by CIES-IUL. 2018-2024
Tipologia do Evento:
Detalhes do Evento
The book authored by Erica Borg and Amedeo Policante will be presented in the scope of the Marxist Education Project by Ariel Salleh and Stuart Newman. Mutant Ecologies
Detalhes do Evento
The book authored by Erica Borg and Amedeo Policante will be presented in the scope of the Marxist Education Project by Ariel Salleh and Stuart Newman.
Manufacturing Life in the Age of Genomic Capital
The interconnected fields of genomic science, genome editing, and biotechnology have emerged over the past half-century as a revolution in the production of new life forms that have been eagerly adopted by agriculture, pharmaceuticals, textiles, and other business sectors. While many – including the Nobel Committee – have heralded this as a “new epoch” of limitless possibilities for positive transformation, In Mutant Ecologies: Manufacturing Life in the Age of Genomic Capital, Erica Borg and Amedeo Policante show how genetic science has been deeply intertwined from its beginning with the raw imperatives of capital accumulation. “Genomic capital,” the authors’ term for the use of genetic materials in industrial production, has literally altered many of life’s metabolic processes in service to capital’s demands. Within a socio-historical context defined by the iron rules of competition and exploitation, capital no longer contents itself with simply appropriating the living bodies of plants and animals but purposefully designs their internal metabolism, and in that way it redesigns the countless living vectors that constitute the global biosphere. This biological revolution will ripple through the everyday lives of people everywhere. Erica and Amedeo will present Mutant Ecologies and Ariel Salleh and Stuart Newman will discuss the book and initiate the conversation.
(Sábado) 9:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Link to be provided to registered participants
Marxist Education Projectinfo@marxedproject.org 388 Atlantic Avenue, 2nd Floor Brooklyn, NY 11217 (USA)
Feb 3, 2023
The exhibition Portuguese Forced Labourers in the III Reich arrives, enriched, at the Portuguese Parliament.
Dec 8, 2022
Victor Pereira was one of the winners of the 2022 edition of the Aristides de Sousa Mendes Award.
Dec 5, 2022
The website of the project Oral Memory of Portuguese Diplomacy has been published.