Grupos Investigação // Ciência: Estudos de história, filosofia e cultura cientifica (CEHFCi da Universidade de Évora)
Coordenação:Maria de Fátima Nunes
This research group is based on the interaction of three thematic internal networks: the History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine; the History of Science, museum studies, collections and Scientific Cultural Heritage; the History of Science, Science Education, Experimental Cultures. Science, Art and Technology.
Boost work with the scientific community of historians - culture and society, within the IHC and with the associated researcher members linked to this group, mainly three of them: Society, Economy and Innovation; Culture, Colonialism and Emperies. Increase scientific exchange with national and international research units via institutional partnerships with researchers from other Centers / Universities - national and international level.
For utility purposes, to have societal impacts and disseminate our scientific identification this group is connected with:
i) the PhD programs - History and Philosophy of Science, Museology specialization; the International PhD Erasmus Mundus Public Health and Welfare State; the History program;
ii) The History & Science and Host networks;
iii) organization of interdisciplinary workshops and regular seminars and scientific meetings with our national and international partners;
iv) to have regular junior scholarships (by funding grants) in other to prepare future PhD students;
v) to have regular presence in thematic International Conferences and Congresses;
vi) to prepare call for proposals for funding;
vii) publications: individual books, editorial work; chapters' books; articles with peer review;
viii) regular dissemination of the knowledge - lectures, cycles of open courses; exhibitions on school, museums and other public spaces (in collaboration with other teams);
ix) integrative activities , two levels: Science History and Philosophy context and IHC context - annual scientific meeting; regular participation in the integrative activities with PhD students, Master students.
In order to follow this desideratum we have established scientific links with institutions, (such as the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew (UK) and the Harvard University Herbarium, or the CSIC - History, Madrid) or to have collaborative actions and projects with the other crossed scientific fields such as Anthropology, Architecture, Design, Arts, Sociology. The study of the material aspects of culture and the analysis of crossovers between the sciences, the arts and technologies lead to the recognition of the advancement of practices among the three fields of activity – science, arts and technology. The social studies of science and technology vs. the regional epistemologies applied to History and Philosophy of Science favour the contact with objects, experiments, images and scientific instruments and it develops in different spaces: laboratories, workshops, science centres, museums, schools, exhibitions, art installations.
To plan, and prepare, a Dictionary on the History of Science and the History of Technology in Portugal, in a comparative and transnational perspective, places the Science group - CEHFCI - in a strong internal network, with regular meetings in order to exchange ideas, proposals, knowledge creative debates.
Some of the activities will be developed in areas may constitute practical case studies for the advanced training courses. The development of a line of research into the history of collections entails a strong working relationship with several museums that hold such scientific heritage, in order to identify, characterize and enhance the elements whose acquisition and manipulation can promote the public understanding and history of teaching, research and dissemination of sciences / scientific knowledge.
All of these items are an integrative part of our internal organizations and scientific highlights for the period of 2015-2020.
Interdisciplinary studies about Contemporary times – science, society, modernity and globalization
History and Philosophy of Science: Interdisciplinary studies about «Science in the Historical Context» (International Journals: Isis; Osiris; British Journal of History of Science; Science in Context; Studies in History and Philosophy of Science, Science Education; Social Studies of Science; Public Understanding of Science; Revista História, Ciências. Saúde. Manguinhos; Manchester 2013, International History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine).
Historical period: 18th-21th centuries, (emergence of Newton in the awakening to the understanding of NATURE - Physis, society, culture, State_ public utility), a comparative and international perspective that aims to investigate, analyze and ponder on the role of science in the construction of contemporary modernity of societies, Western axis, using as a reference analysis tool the circulation of knowledge and exchange of information: The Atlantic, as geostrategic border (s) in the circulation and exchange of scientific knowledge in times of construction of contemporaneity.
A basis of reference to develop three interlinked research lines, from which various intertwined thematic FOCUS will branch out:
1. History and Philosophy of Science. Scientific practices vs. cultural practices: culture, society, actors, ideas, institutions and spaces; communication networks, trade networks, networks of policy and scientific diplomacy.
2. Science education, society and public understanding of science – dissemination of scientific culture and science; science popularization. Building mechanisms of scientific culture in similar contexts
3. History of Science, Technology, Institutions and collections. Scientific heritage, museums and public. Science and society, education, culture and globalization. Spaces and institutions of knowledge and scientific culture in cities network
General objectives – to traverse with HORIZON 2020 lines.
• Preliminary question of the 21st century: national and international historiography debate/analysis of HFSc: history of scientific culture, circulation, dissemination and transmission of knowledge. View of Portugal’s HFSc reality in the international context: memory, myths and challenges of 21st century globalization.
• History of scientific culture, circulation, dissemination and transmission of knowledge – models and mechanisms for operationalization at the national-colonial / international context.
• To discuss the centre / peripheries dichotomy in conjunction with realities of metropolises / colonial spaces in the context of contemporaneity, as well as the role that HFSc may play in the theme The 21ST century crisis
• Public awareness of science, scientific institutions, heritage and Museology of science in comparative perspective.
• Science, culture, education and art - the role of Experimental Cultures (Norton Wise, UCLA./ USA) as focus of thematic analyses of the role of scientific theories, of objects and scientific experiments on society and science education. Focus integrated into social studies of science and technology and on the border of regional epistemologies.
Specific objectives to be achieved
a. Doctoral theses and related activity resulting from the PhD program
b. Organisation of and participation in conferences and other scientific events
c. Submission and realization of projects under the Principal Investigator of the group / unit Line 2015-2020
d. Exchange of scientific practice of HFSc within the Unit’s groups and regular collaboration with members of other national and international Research Units. Knowledge dissemination and production of scientific editions (books / articles)
- Membros integrados
Maria de Fátima Nunes
José Pedro de Sousa Dias
João Paulo Príncipe Silva
Mariana de Jesus Pedreira Valente
Luís Manuel Mendonça de Carvalho
José Luís Assis
José Manuel Morais Vale Brandão
Sara Manuela e Albuquerque
Augusto José dos Santos Fitas
Henrique Francisco Martins Coutinho Gouveia
Francisca Maria Fernandes Mendonça de Carvalho
Jorge Miguel Quintino Gomes Ferreira
Luís Miguel Pires Ceriaco
Maria Clara de Frayão Camacho
Marcial António Estrela Rodrigues
Quintino Manuel Junqueira Lopes
Alberto Jorge Damas Guerreiro
Alexandra Isabel Gomes Marques
Ana Margarida de Brito Cravosa
António Jorge Botelheiro Carrilho
António Manuel Bule Malveiro
Carmen Dolores Avó Baião Ferreira de Almeida
Elisabete de Jesus dos Santos Pereira
Isabel Mania Neves da Cruz
Luís Manuel Loyo Pequito Antune
Ana Rita Borba Saldanha
Sandra Isabel dos Santos Abelha
Manuel Galão Melo e Mota
Ema Cláudia Ribeiro Pires
Francisco António Lourenço Vaz
Isilda Teixeira Rodrigues
Maria Margaret Lopes
Laurinda Faria Santos Abreu
Ana Paula dos Santos Lima
Cristiana Lage David Bastos
Ana Cristina Martins
Júlio Manuel da Cruz de Morais
Ana Alexandra Rodrigues Carvalho
João Carlos Pires Brigola
Danny Martins Rangel
Kátia Amaral Monteiro
Liliana Manuel Maria Pina
Maria da Luz Braga Sampaio
Raul Filipe da Silva Pereira de Figueiredo
Relatórios de Actividades:
CEHFCi supervision PhD Dissertations on going (2012):
- A Física industrial no Portugal do século XIX
- Prática de Química à Química Prática: desenvolvimento da prática de Química no ensino português (1852–1889)
- Fabricar uma Identidade Cultural: Património, Museus e Colecções Técnicas e Industriais
- Diversidade cultural e museus no séc. XXI: o emergir de novos paradigmas
- A evolução da Zoologia e dos Museus de História Natural em Portugal (XVIII-XX)
- Museus e ciência em Moçambique. O Museu de História Natural Dr. Álvaro e Castro (1913-1975). Colecções, produção científica e inovação
- Da Sismicidade à Ciência dos Sismos: A História da Sismologia em Portugal
- Comunicação pública das ciências e coleccionismo: arqueologia e antropologia no contexto da cultura científica de finais do século XIX e primeira metade do século XX em Portugal
- O Instituto Bacteriológico Câmara Pestana: Ciência Médica, Tecnologia Biológica e Cuidados de Saúde. Finais do Século XIX e primeira metade do Século XX
- A Junta de Educação Nacional (1929/36) e a Investigação Científica em Portugal
- A divulgação da Fotografia no Portugal Oitocentista: Protagonistas, práticas e redes de circulação do saber
Others team cehfci scientific supervisions (2012):
- Sistemas de credenciação e redes nacionais de museus – uma panorâmica europeia contemporânea
- Museus na Implementação da República
- A Bibliofilia em Portugal no início da época contemporânea – o exemplo de D. Frei Manuel do Cenáculo
- Biblioteca escolar com ou sem Bibliotecário? – Estudo de impacto no sucesso educativo em Escolas Básicas Integradas
- Um contributo no âmbito da Formação de Professores
- O Ensino e a aprendizagem da física em engenharia: um estudo de caso no ensino politécnico
- Rendimento Escolar e Literacia científica: o efeito da transição do 9º ano para o 10º ano de escolaridade
- O ensino das ciências experimentais no liceu em Portugal na I República (1910-1926).
Humanização em contexto hospitalar
- Estudos de Cultura (UCP); Deontologia e Ética nos Museus. Estudo jurídico e cultural dos Códigos ICOM
- Cenografia e ópera em Portugal século XVIII
Ano de 2012.pdf