PhD in Contemporary History from the School of Social Sciences and Humanities of the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa. She has been developing her research in the field of trans-oceanic and European migrations since the 19th century, in particular under the perspective of migration policies.
Her PhD thesis, titled “A Junta Nacional de Emigração e a Política de Emigração durante o Estado Novo”, analysed the Portuguese emigration policy during the Portuguese dictatorship from an institutional approach. In the context of her postdoc, she endeavoured to study the relationship between the State, the emigration policy and the maritime policy, in order to highlight the exploration business strategies of the transport of emigrants by the maritime navigation companies, both foreign and national, and their relationship with the State, during the 20th century. In addition to these areas of interest, she has sought to develop research papers on the migrations of intellectuals, Portuguese workers during the Great War, and children.
- History of trans-ocean and European migrations
- Maritime history
- 19th and 20th centuries
- Santos, Yvette, “Entre l’Atlantique et l’Europe : l’émigration et le difficile rapprochement entre le Portugal et les pays de la CEE 1945-1968,” in Peoples and Borders: Seventy Years of Migration in Europe, from Europe, to Europe [1945-2015], edited by Elena Calandri, Simone Paoli and Antonio Varsori, 15-36. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 2016. [link]
- Rollo, Maria Fernanda & Yvette Santos (Coords.). Ecos das Migrações: Memórias e Representações dos Migrantes nos séculos XIX-XX. Coimbra: Almedina, 2015.
- Ferreira, Ana Sofia & Yvette Santos. “Entre asociaciones y comités: Estructuras de apoyo a la emigración portuguesa en Francia durante los años sessenta y setenta del siglo XX,” Historia, trabajo y sociedad 6 (2015): 81-102. [PDF]
- Silva, Marta & Yvette Santos. “Discursos sobre emigração em tempos de crise: uma abordagem comparativa,” População e Sociedade 73 (2014): 73-95. [PDF]
Tipologia do Evento:
- Super event man
Não Existem Eventos
May 16, 2019
The latest issue of The Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History was guest-edited by Philip J. Havik, Helena Pinto Janeiro, Pedro Aires Oliveira, and Irene Flunser Pimentel.
May 10, 2019
The aim is to investigate the anti-Franco resistance and the organization of the escape routes of the Spanish Republicans to the north of Portugal.
Apr 24, 2019
On the 23rd of April, the new IHC governing bodies were elected at the Ordinary General Meeting.