Ana Paula Pires has a PhD in History, with a specialisation in Contemporary Economic and Social History, by the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa. She is a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Stanford and at the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa.
She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Institute of Contemporary History of the NOVA FCSH and coordinator of the group “Economy, Society, Heritage, and Innovation” of the same institution. She is currently a member of the Inter-ministerial Working Group for Military Tourism, in representation of the Secretary of State for Science, Technology, and Higher Education.
She is the author of several books and scientific papers, the co-founder of the International Network for the Study of the Great War in Africa, and the editor of the 1914-1918-online, International Encyclopaedia of the First World War, a project coordinated by the Free University of Berlin.
She won awards from the Portuguese Association of Economic and Social History, the Alberto Sampaio Award and the National Defence Award (Honorable Mention).
- First World War
- History of Portugal
- Economic and social history
- Colonial history
- Pires, Ana Paula. “The First World War in Portuguese East Africa: Civilian and Military Encounters in the Indian Ocean,” e-Journal of Portuguese History 15 (2017): 82-104. [PDF]
- Pires, Ana Paula, “Between War and Peace: the Portuguese Experience in the Great War,” in Shaping Neutrality throughout the First World War, coordinated by José Leonardo Ruiz Sánchez, Inmaculada Cordero Olivero, and Carolina García Sanz, 207-220. Seville: Editorial Universidad de Sevilla, 2015.
- Rollo, Maria Fernanda & Ana Paula Pires. Ordem dos Engenheiros – 75 anos de História. Inovação e desenvolvimento em Portugal: O lugar dos engenheiros. Lisbon: Ingenium Edições Lda., 2012.
- Pires, Ana Paula. Portugal e a I Guerra Mundial. A República e a Economia de Guerra. Lisbon: CNCCR / Caleidoscópio, 2011.
- Member of the editorial council of “1914-1918-online. International Encyclopaedia of the First World War” — Coordinated by Oliver Janz (Freie Universitåt Berlin) and Nicolas Apostolopoulos (Freie Universitåt Berlin), and funded by the DFG – German Research Foundation. [link]
- Team member of the project “Neutral entre neutrales: estudio comparado de la neutralidad española durante la Primera Guerra Mundial” — Coordinated by Javier Ponce (Universidad de las Palmas de Gran Canaria) and funded by the Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad (Spain). [HAR2012-35130]
- Scientific coordinator of the project “História e Património da Associação Nacional das Farmácias” — Hosted by the IHC and funded by the Associação Nacional das Farmácias.
Event Type :
- Super event man
Oct 16, 2019
Historian Fernando Rosas, founder of the IHC and its President in the past, was granted the title of Professor Emeritus by NOVA.
Oct 4, 2019
In the end of September, the IHC transferred its headquarters to new facilities at the Almada Negreiros College, located at NOVA’s Campolide Campus.
Sep 17, 2019
Albérico Afonso was honored last Sunday with the Setúbal Medal of Honor, in the Cultural Activities class, for his dedication to research and teaching.